In the first of its kind gesture to honour the bravery and gallantry of Sikkimese soldiers serving in the Indian Army, the Chief Minister of Sikkim, Mr Pawan Chamling yesterday announced a series of rewards for them.
Attending the flag-off ceremony for the newly recruited jawans from the state at Gangtok, Mr Chamling called upon the new recruits to “work selflessly and give their valuable service to our great Nation.”
Congratulating the 109 new recruits from Sikkim for making the cut and for getting the opportunity to serve the country, Mr Chamling advised the new recruits to work tirelessly and to keep country’s security ahead of everything else.
Mr Chamling, who once served as a soldier in the erstwhile Kingdom of Sikkim, announced the following rewards for recognising the bravery and gallantry of Sikkimese soldiers serving in the Indian army:
1. Param Vir Chakra- Rs. 1 crore
2. Ashok Chakra- Rs. 50 lakhs
3. Mahavir Chakra- Rs. 50 lakhs
4. Vir Chakra- Rs. 20 lakhs
5. Kirti Chakra-Rs.15 lakhs
6. Saurya Chakra-Rs.10 lakhs
7. Sena/Nau Sena Vayu Sena Medal-Rs.5 lakhs
8. Param Vishisht Sewa Medal-Rs.3 lakhs
9. Ati Vishisht Sewa Medal-Rs.2 lakhs
10. Vishisht Sewa Medal-Rs.1 lakh
11. Mention- in-Dispatches-Rs.1 lakh
12. Sarvottam Yudh Sewa Medal-Rs.2 lakhs
13. Uttam Yudh Sewa Medal- Rs.1.5 lakh
14. Yudh Sewa Medal-Rs.1 lakh
15. Ex-gratia of Rs. 25 lakhs for fatal casualty
16. Ex-gratia of Rs. 5 lakhs for non-fatal casualty
17. Rs. 2 lakhs for ‘Veer Naris’ (wives of late soldiers), with one-time felicitation grant to ‘Veer Naris’ of the State during Republic Day celebrations, 2018.