“Bright NE Youth should get out of Civil Services obsession,” says Robin Hibu, IPS, Special Commissioner, Delhi Police, expressing concerns over the obsession of the creamy layer of brains from the Northeast into Civil services. He opined how they should get out of the trap and rather focus on cultivating an entrepreneurial environment.
He says, “Best and brightest NE youth need to wean them away from the obsession of IAS/ IPS/IFS/state CS officers. New goldmine is in the entrepreneurial world. NE Pioneers in entrepreneurship amidst tough milieu.
To me, the promising Northeast Entrepreneurs are heroes, achievers & role models for New India and the New NE, far ahead in overall societal contribution than those successful IAS/ IPS/ IFS. Unfortunately, I find our youth going crazy for British era Civil Services (now UPSC examinations) that were designed with the main motto to collect taxes and to keep the citizen under control during their rule. The Civil Services are dreamy and ideally ‘powerful’ career option for middle-class small towns / remote rural/ tribal areas, where they see young DCs and SSPs in their initial stage of life.
It is, however, to be understood that the brightest youths from developed states like Gujarat, Maharashtra, Kerala, Punjab, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu do not aspire for UPSC examination. They mostly choose to go for IITs and IIMs to later get placed in the best giant companies of the world and further later they go for startups of their own volition.
My short stint as IGP in Gujarat during elections exposed me to the truth of this phenomenon. Even in my batch, I did not have any young IAS/IPS from Gujarat. In fact, there were very few from these developed states.
No wonder today, most of the top young successful entrepreneurs are from these states, both in India and abroad.
Whereas in Northeast states, the best and brightest minds are mostly obsessed with white collared jobs and they put their best efforts and get into these avenues through UPSC or State Civil Services. Initially, there are a lot of accolades when they are selected but after that, they fade into oblivion with the job security and the comfortable position. All lofty dreams that initially motivated them to pursue the career somehow get eroded due to twists and turns while serving in the line of duty. And the whole life becomes a waiting process for the whole life, hoping that someday day they can make it to the top rank- CS, DGP, CC, FC, FS etc.
It is again unfortunate that the recent trend of massive NE youth migration to cities for menial private jobs after minor skill training has resulted into flooded job markets in unorganised sectors leading to frequent and multiple instances of endemic woes and exploitation. They are mostly left to fend themselves in cities.
What still worries me is that there is an urgent need for the best and brightest NE youth need to change this trend for their better career advancement for larger societal contribution. These best and the brightest need to focus on a new road map towards the new emerging goldmine – the entrepreneurial world of opportunities through IIT, NEET, MBA or even through professional short courses in recognized institutes for their entrepreneurship training.
- With now govt special focus for holistic basic development of Northeast states, there are huge opportunities for promising bright youths. If the best and brightest of NE states readjust their obsession from highly dignified secure jobs and focus into entrepreneurship – not only back homes, but even in cities, then we can turn our NE region from cheap lowly menial employee suppliers to cities. We can be focus centre of opportunities/ jobs employers both back home, cities and abroad.
- After thread bare discussion with young successful entrepreneurs from Gujarat, Punjab, Delhi and NRIs from USA, UK both from mainland and NE states, I discovered the magic strategy required by the would be bright entrepreneurs are –
- know the entrepreneurship skill through proper education,
*learn the knitty gritty of running business with stints at some branded MNCs or successful Indian companies
- have hand holding experiences in human resources, finance,
- supply chain,
- marketing strategy,
- upgradation of the men and machines.
- have continuous corporate networking for entrepreneurship advancement.
The Pioneers from Northeast
It is a promising and exemplary road map for future bright NE entrepreneurs, taking in example these successful NE pioneer entrepreneurs like:
- Chuba Manan Jamir – having chain of eateries in Delhi,
- Arup Jyoti Gogoi – having his IT firm in many European countries,
- Takhe Rita – running successfully – NAARA ABBA, first India’s kiwi wine factory,
- Christina Tayeng – specialized wedding planner/flower decoration for who’s who in 5-star hotels,
- Haokip – running mobile eateries in USA,
- Toko Tatung Prakash – running successfully a chain of hotels through popular brand E & K.
- James Dhkar – leading NE weaving and textile entrepreneur.
- Achita Ray – leading poultry and hatchery farm entrepreneur.
- Janessaline M Pyngtrope – having popular Ethnic Fashion production.
- Sonam Choden Bhutia – fame Sikkim Chocolate.
- Jonathan Burner – branding entrepreneur for MNCs.
Gold Medal for Pioneers in offing
Helping Hands will introduce GOLD MEDAL for exemplary NE entrepreneurs to encourage NE youth for a successful game-changer in the entrepreneurship.
Selection team consisting of members from IRS, IAAS, IFS, IAS, IPS, Ex RBI officer will be select them.
I am convinced, now, the best and brightest NE students need to come out of their crazy obsession for govt jobs and start a plan for new road map for journey toward new vista goldmine of opportunities, where they will be the boss, employer, can make more honest money, can hobnob with MNCs honchos, have the best life, can bring out their hidden unexplored talent for future NE Tatas, Birlas, Ambanis, Mahindras, Adanis, Hindujas, Amazon, Alibaba, Infosys from NE states .
Lets share to our NE bright youth for food for thought and encourage them to think out of box.